Thursday 11 September 2008

Dougal's Good Grub Guide.

Well, I can cheerfully recommend the Four Mary's in Linlithgow for a meal. The Cullen Skink was lovely, the lamb's liver excellent. Our party also commend the haggis, neeps and tatties and the fish pie. It also has an excellent range of real ales and seemed to do a good deal on malt whisky. There are some really good eateries in this neck of the woods which are also terribly reasonably priced.

Rather an odd time of year just now. Monday coming is the 1st anniversary of Dad's death, so I'm rather keyed up. I have the diary clear so that I can go over and spend time with mum on the day, but really have no idea how I will actually feel. It's something I've pushed rather to the back of my mind and not dwelt on, so now that it's so close I'm feeling just a little...anxious? Will I feel anything at all? I go to the grave, I've put flowers there: life is not the same, but progressing. So am I just getting slightly steamed up for no reason?

3 comments:

  1. Oh how I miss the 4 Mary's for lunch, for entertaining other clergy (always went down well) but sometimes the service is a wee bit slow so you need to have company to chat.

    And here is something to ponder on the anniversary of your dad's death.

    I’d like the memory of me
    to be a happy one.
    I’d like to leave an after glow
    of smiles when life is done.
    I’d like to leave an echo
    whispering softly down the ways,
    of happy times and laughing times
    and bright and sunny days.
    I’d like the tears of those who grieve,
    to dry before the sun
    of happy memories
    that I leave when life is done.
    Anon

    ReplyDelete
  2. The service was pretty good actually and there were 10 of us so it was rather sociable.

    Thanks for the verse: quite uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoughts and prayers, Dougal, as ever.

    ReplyDelete