Friday 2 October 2009

A Spiritual Exercise.

Whilst trawling online, I came across this excercise (thanks to the RevGalpals blog) and I thought it worthwhile to do it for my own entertainment. And possibly for the world's enlightenment.

Where do you find God's peace and presence, is there:

1. A place that holds a special memory?


Has to be Iona. Top of Dun I at midnight, not a cloud in the sky and moonlight bright enough to see Jura and walk downhill without a torch

2. A song that seems to usher you into the Holy of Holies?

"Be thou my vision" and "Be still, for the presence of the Lord"

3. A book/ poem/ prayer that says what you cannot?

H.A. Williams "Some Day I'll find you"

4. How do you remind yourself of these things at times when God seems far away?

Pray silently. If I'd remembered to do that more often I wouldn't in my present pickle!

5.Post a picture/ poem or song that speaks of where you are right now in your relationship with God...

Holy Sonnet XIV by John Donne

Batter my heart, three-personed God; for you

As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend;

That I may rise and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend

Your force to break, blow, burn, and make me new.

I, like an usurped town, to another due,

Labor to admit you, but O, to no end;

Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,

but is captived, and proves weak or untrue.

yet dearly I love you, and would be loved fain,

But am betrothed unto your enemy.

Divorce me, untie or break that knot again;

Take me to you, imprison me, for I,

Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,

Nor even chaste, except you ravish me.

We did this in SYS English in 1984 and it has stayed with me ever since.

Anyone else fancy a go?

2 comments:

  1. A boy in one of my all-male S4 classes once learned this poem by heart after I'd done it in class with them. He wasn't going to tell me, but one of the other boys did and then he recited it flawlessly and with great understanding. One of the best moments, and representative of what I miss about teaching.

    ReplyDelete