Thursday 29 September 2011

Michaelmass



I have always been a bit dubious about angels, Arch or otherwise.  That said, I seem to write something about them each year.  Why I cannot think, as apart from reciting "with angels and archangels when celebrating they really do not figure in my devotional life.  Living and departed saints, men and women who stuggled, prayed and loved inspire me rather than "spiritual creatures".  Still, acknowledgeing the existence of "heavenly powers" is never a bad thing as it reminds us that we are citizens of 2 kingdoms and our stay here is not permanent.  The painting is more inspiring to me than the theology.  "The ability to see beauty is the beginning of our moral sensibility. What we believe is beautiful we will not wantonly destroy." (Reverend Sean Parker Dennison)

No comments:

Post a Comment