Monday 19 November 2012

International What day?

File:International Men's Day Symbol.png

I am slightly startled to realise that today is International Men's Day!  I had never heard of it before.  Evidently we sort of focus on men's health in Scotland, the Irish stress "positive male role models" and the French had a moustache growing competition!  I suppose it sort of balances the promotion of women's right with a celebration of  "good maleness".  Officially it exists to:
  • To promote positive male role models; not just movie stars and sportsmen but everyday, working class men who are living decent, honest lives.
  • To celebrate men’s positive contributions to society, community, family, marriage, child care, and to the environment.
  • To focus on men’s health and well being; social, emotional, physical and spiritual.
  • To highlight discrimination against men; in areas of social services, social attitudes and expectations, and law.
  • To improve gender relations and promote gender equality.
  • To create a safer, better world; where people can live free from harm and grow to reach their full potential.  
All very agreeable, I'm sure but I can't say the concept particularly enthuses me.  These days a lot of this is covered by the mainstream media and I rather fail to wonder why I had failed to recognise its existence until now.   Why are there so many pointless secualr observances around?  Honestly, they're almost as bad as obscure saints!

No comments:

Post a Comment