Thursday 11 April 2013

Margaret Thatcher

In the passing of Margaret Thatcher, we have witnessed the end of an era.  Love her or loathe her, she was without doubt one of the most significant political figures in Britain in the 20th century.  Only Clement Attlee compares as a peacetime Prime Minister.  Having grown up in a mining district during the Miner's Strike of 1984, I can admit unashamedly to having absolutely no taste or liking for her policies or their effect.  I would not go so far as to say I hated her - I never knew her and cannot summon up the energy to "hate" a person I did not know.  Nor will I laud her unreservedly as her acolytes would - I happen to choose less divisive figures as my heroes.  Some of spleen vented is singularly unpleasant - but I do understand it.

The simple fact is she was a major figure and held a great office, that of Prime Minister.  Therefore it is perfectly appropriate that she be given a Public Funeral (technically she's getting a Ceremonial funeral like the Queen Mother and Princess Diana).  I detested her policies and I wouldn't say a requiem for her - I'd leave it at a prayer during the intercessions, commending her to the mercy and love of God who will judge us all.

2 comments:

  1. I think you hit the right note. I think the "Ding Dong" controversy is silly and nothing more. I think holding parties & plans to disrupt her funeral are petty, small & pathetic. I'm all for examining her policies but attacking a grieving family is below contempt.If the far left want remember the people who lost out in her tenure they should donate money to community charities etc .... I understand the need for a national official funeral but loathe the proposed militaristic tone to the event. But overall lament the song & leave the deceased singer in peace.

    ReplyDelete